Admission procedures for new students
1) Basic requirements for new student to join Shedra
- Fifteen must be your minimum age . Must be either a novice or monk or you can receive the vows after joining the Shedra.
- You must agree to respect and abide by the rules and regulations of the Shedra during your stay here. Must have a guarantor to take responsibility of whatsoever.
- Must get check up in a hospital and obtain medical certificate of good health.
- The committee responsible for the admission of the new students will oversee whether you have fulfilled the requirements or not.
- Failed to fulfill the aforementioned requirements but if you have the desire to study in Shedra, you may stay outside but you can attend classes, debate and write exams.
2) Procedures to get into different levels of classes.
- If you have not studied Tibetan scripture previously, you must start from the preliminary class and move orderly to higher class by passing exams. Without passing the exam in lower class you cannot appear exam in next higher class.
- If you have studied the subjects of preliminary class in other institutions and therefore wishing to join directly in the first year of Madhyama must either produce the certificate of the preliminary subjects or sit for an exam.
- If you wish to study directly in second year of Madhyama, you must either produce a certificate of the Ways of Bodhisattva or sit for the exam on both preliminary subjects and the Ways of Bodhisattva.
- If you wish to join from the third year of Madhyama, you must either produce a certificate of Madhymakavatara and Prajnamula or sit for an exam on those.
- If you wish to study from the fourth year of Madhyama, you must either produce a certificate of Madhymakavatara, Prajnamula and the Pramanayuktanidhi or sit for an exam on those subjects.
- If you wish to join from the fifth year of Madhyma, you must either produce a certificate of Madhymakavatara, Prajnamula , Pramanayuktanidhi and on the first two chapters of Pramanavartika or you can sit for an exam on those subjects. Well, if you have certificate of Pramanavartika and Pramanayuktanidhi but not in Maadhymakavatara and Prajnamula, you need to study Madhymaka for a year, pass the exam and join in the fifth year of Madhyama. In case you have a certificate of Madhymakavatara, Prajnamula, Pramanavartika but not in Pramanayuktanidhi, you can study Pramanayuktanidhi for a year here in Shedra, pass the exam and join the fifth year of Madhyamaka.
- If you wish to study from the first year of Shastra, you must either produce a certificate of Middle Way philosophy , Pramana and Abhidharma, write an exam on Abhidharma or write exam on all three subjects in case you have no certificate.
- If you wish to study from the second year of Shastra, you must either produce certificate of Middle Way philosophy, Pramana, Paramita, Abhidharma, take exam either on Pramanavartika or Pramanayuktanidhi, Abhidharma and Prajnaparamita. If you have no certificate, you can study from the second year of Shastra by writing exam in all the aforementioned subjects.
- If you wish to join directly from the third year of Shastra, you must have a certificate of Middle Way philosophy, Paramita, Vinaya, Abhidharma and Pramana and must take exam on any of these three subjects. You can join the same by writing exam on Paramita, Pramana, Vinaya and Abhidharma if you no certificate.
- Regardless of certificates, no one is allowed to join Acharya classes directly.
- Above mentioned certificates must be produced at the time of your admission here or else you will not be allowed to join higher classes.
- You might have fulfilled the requirements for admission, passed through the different levels orderly, but still you cannot join literary classes if you have not completed the second year of Shastra.
- Students in need of modification of their certificates will be allowed only once. In case of the lost certificates, Shedra will reissue once. Losing of certificates more than once will require a member from Shedra administration committee and a monk from Shedra as witness along with a letter of assurance to be able to issue the same again.
- After your studies here if you want to obtain your mark sheets and certificates, you must produce the letter of consent given to you by Shedra.
- If you wish to join directly from senior classes, you will be allowed to sit for the exam of that class provided that you arrive here in the Shedra before the first half of the academic year.
- You are not required to sit for midterm exam and instead appear only for the annual exam if you are sent by Shedra administration to other institution as a teacher and if you have a letter from that institution to evince that you taught there for the whole intended year.